I haven’t worn deodorant in about 3 years! At first it was tough, but a couple things happened. The cleaner I ate, the less odor I produced. I’ve learned to wash my pits twice a day. And on those special occasions I use a natural product like Skin Food by Aubrey or Primal Pit Paste.
You have to understand, sweating is an important function of your body. Sweat contains chemicals that fight diseases. This is why it’s vital to keep the pores under your arms unclogged. Beneath the skin in the armpit is a cluster of lymph nodes that work to remove foreign cells. Chemical-laden products applied to the armpit prevent this removal of toxins.
A lot of clinical studies find a disproportionately high number of female breast cancers originating in the upper outer quadrant of the breast, the area to which underarm cosmetic products are applied. Because breast tissue is mostly adipose, it’s a place where most toxins get stored. There are personal care products with harsh ingredients that not only harm skin but have actually been linked to cancer (like formaldehyde and 1, 4-dioxin) Most conventional deodorants and other body products that we use on a daily basis contain aluminum chlorohydrate, parabens, propylene glycol, triclosan, TEA, DEA, FD&C colors, and quaternium 18, among other toxic chemicals! Some of these chemicals increase the risk of breast cancer by mimicking estrogen. Most breast cancer cases initially develop as hormone-dependent cancer, in which growth and progression of the disease correlates with estrogen levels.
Fortunately, you can do an Armpit Detox which can help your body to pull out stored toxins, chemical residue, and unclog your pores.
Essential Oil Armpit Detox (aka "Natural Deodorant")*
If you want to clean up your act under your armpits AND promote breast health, try this easy detox. Note that you may feel slight irritation at first and that's normal. If you feel extremely irritated, mix up a new batch using fewer drops of the essential oils.
- 3 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops cilantro essential oil
- 3 drops lavender oil
- Optional: sandalwood or helichrysum oil
- In a glass bowl, mix apple cider vinegar and and bentonite clay. It should have a creamy consistency.
- Mix in your essential oils.
- Spread a thin layer of your paste onto your armpit and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse well.
- Repeat each day until any unpleasant odor subsides and your natural deodorant no longer irritates your skin.
- Drink a LOT of water during the detox to help your body flush out all of the toxins.
If you end up trying this, let me know how it goes in the comments below!
*Recipe adapted from Living Traditionally.